Get involved with the GHJA Juniors Committee, have some fun, and help support the Juniors Committee's charitable causes!
To check your Equitation Challenge standings, click here.
The GHJA Juniors Committee is open to all GHJA Junior members and run by an elected Board of GHJA Juniors under the advisement of a GHJA Senior advisor. The mission of the GHJA Juniors is to promote good sportsmanship among all. The GHJA Juniors are responsible for special Equitation events, fundraising for worthy causes, and to help broaden the involvement of Juniors in the GHJA.
The GHJA Juniors have contributed to many causes through the past years and also today. Our most recent project has been purchasing a sling and getting training to the Milton Fire department so in an emergency they can use it to save horses in and around the Milton area. We have also sold pajama pants to save up for this worthy cause. In the past, we have sold wristbands for the abandoned and hurt horses in hurricane Katrina. We donated two thousand dollars to the Animal S.O.S fund. All in all, we are always working on a way to make our horse community better.
Currently one of the most successful and popular fund raisers for the Juniors Committee is the GHJA Jr. Equitation Challenge, an exciting and challenging flat equitation class voluntarily offered by Local horse show managers to support the GHJA Juniors activities. The Junior Equitation challenge is a challenge on the flat for Junior and Adult Amateur equitation riders.
The specs are as follows:
- GHJA Junior’s Equitation Challenge Open to all Junior and Adult Amateur GHJA members on horses or ponies. To be judged at a walk, trot, and canter.
- Competitors will be asked to perform at least two of the following USEF tests chosen by the Judge: #1-Halt; #2-Hand gallop; #9- Ride without stirrups; #15-Change leads on a line demonstrating a simple or flying change of lead; #17- Canter on the counter lead.
- Martingales are not permitted.
- Riders receiving outside assistance or coaching while in the arena will be eliminated.
- Riders who have won the Final Junior’s Equitation Challenge in 2009, 2010, or 2011 are no longer eligible to compete in this class.
- November 1st is the cut off date for riding in qualifying classes at shows.
Finals Class specifications:
The top 20 riders who have accumulated points throughout the year will qualify to ride in the Final Phase of the Challenge at the GHJA Finals Horse Show. In the Final Phase riders will be asked to perform any two or more of the USEF tests1, 2, 3, 4,8,11,12,14,15, & 18. The judge will then require the top 4 riders to switch horses (USEF test #16) and perform any two or more tests that were previously ridden.
2011 GHJA Juniors Committee Board of Directors
- Senior Advisors: Laura Bentley
- Co-Presidents: Tori Bentley and Austin Killebrew
- Co-Vice Presidents: Gavin Jensen and Carlee Bentley
- Co-Secretary and Treasurer: Elizabeth DeGolian